As many of you may know, members were invited to open their gardens to the public this year in celebration of the Society’s 60th anniversary. Booklets describing the gardens were available at our spring lecture meetings and plant fairs. Here in Somerset there are six members’ gardens open this summer – the first coming up at the end of this month. We would urge you to visit as many as you can to show your support. Proceeds from the garden openings may go to the HPS entirely or may be shared with the garden owners’ chosen charity.
The Somerset gardens opening for the HPS are as follows:
- Wednesday 24th May, 11.00am to 5.00pm – Elworthy Cottage (Mike and Jenny Spiller)
- Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th June, 2.00pm to 5.30pm – Hooper’s Holding (Ken and Lyn Spencer-Mills)
- Thursday 22nd June, 11.00am to 5.00pm – Vellacott (Kevin and Pat Chittenden)
- Sunday 25th June, 11.00am to 5.30pm – Lower Severalls Farmhouse (Mary Pring and Catherine Bond)
- Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th July, 10.00am to 4.00pm – The George House (Dr Robin Goodfellow)
- Tuesday 18 July, 2.00pm to 6.00pm – Braglands Barn (Simon and Sue Youell)
Full details about these gardens and their location, and others open outside of Somerset, may be found on the main HPS website. We wish them fine weather and crowds of visitors on their chosen day or days!