Welcome to the Somerset Group of the Hardy Plant Society.
The Hardy Plant Society, formed in 1957 by the late Alan Bloom, has an active membership in both the UK and overseas.
National Hardy Plant Society
- Its aim is to expand the knowledge of hardy plants and how to get the best from them.
- Society members are entitled to join Regional Groups offering programme activities at local level and to Specialist Groups with an interest in particular plant types.
- A Correspondents Group caters for those who are unable to attend meetings and events.
- A well-produced National Journal is issued in Spring and Autumn, with informed articles written by experienced plantspeople.
- National Newsletters are also issued during the year.
- Members benefit from a valuable seed distribution scheme.
- For more detailed information please see the National Society website – www.hardy-plant.org.uk
2019 SHPS Ireland Trip
As the Group celebrates its 25th anniversary we have a treat planned for 2019: a trip to southern Ireland from 9 to 14 June by luxury coach. For full details of the trip, the gardens and itinerary, click here.
The HPS Somerset Group
Has an active and varied programme, of interest to all gardeners. We are friendly and genuinely welcoming to new HPS members and would love to see you at one of our meetings. We produce two newsletters per year in January and June, and have a programme of meetings and events throughout the year.
You can read more About Us and then browse the site. Our News page contains announcements, articles and updates. You can join the group, and/or join the mailing list to receive updates. You can also follow us on Twitter or Facebook for the same news updates.
HPS Video on Fern Propagation
As part of an experiment we have made a video about propagating the Polystichum fern. The video explains two techniques using either a whole fern leaf or by cutting and potting individual fernlets, and shows the steps to producing lots of new ferns.
We filmed this on a dry, cold, and blustery January day at Sally Gregson’s nursery to see what feedback we would get by making educational videos like this.
We are interested in hearing your feedback on the video, regarding the overall usefulness, the quality of the information, the level of detail and the overall length.
You can send feedback by email or by commenting on the video page by clicking the image below to visit and view the video, and leave your thoughts in the comments box at the bottom.
Click the image above to visit the videos page
If you think the video is worth watching please tell others, as we’d like to hear from as many people as possible.
And finally, if there is a technique, topic or plant you’d like to see a video on which you think we should cover, please let us know too.
Thanks, Bill & Sally.
Somerset Federation of Gardening Clubs
The Somerset Group of the Hardy Plant Society is a member of the Somerset Federation of Gardening Clubs, take a look at their extensive member list which provide other opportunities to enjoy gardening activities where you live in the county.